Thursday, December 05, 2013

December Newsletter

Wholly Quilts
December Newsletter
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Wow! There is so much to tell you all. First of all my great South Island adventure was so much fun despite turning far too many corners and getting lost often.
The girls in deepest Central Otago (Miller's Flat) made me feel extremely welcome. This pic is a quilt made from old woollen clothingfirst quilt made from old woollen clothing - isn't it lovely?
The road trip from there to Nelson was highlighted by stays with quilting friends Noeline and Yvonne (she taught me everything I know years ago) and family.
I did hear on the way that my classes at the mini-symposium have been cancelled but for those who miss out I am teaching at Needle 'n Thread in both Geraldine and Dunedin next June. I do hope I can catch up with some of you then.
My sister Stateside sent me this link and although I think it very clever I can't see it becoming a trend.
But how about this wonderful link to Leah Day.  Her advice to improve
your free-motion quilting Eat, Quilt, Sleep, Repeat. I've signed up to get her newsletter each week because she covers almost all 'space fillers' that you could want.
A big reminder here for our Pot Luck Picnic on Saturday January 18. It is a day of sunshine (every year so far), shared picnic lunch, show and tell, raffles and a competition. The challenge this time round (you'll get it) is your version of 'a round tu-it'.
Start time is 10-ish with scone and a cuppa and finish is whenever-ish. I'm having a spot of bother getting there with the challenge but I will after all that's what it is about.

The Pumpkin Patch has tomatoes just short of a little colour and the weeds as tall as them after just 10 days away. I've had an inspection stroll of all the fruit trees and they are laden - damson plums, figs, quinces, persimmons etc so a lot of 'processing' in front of me but that's the way I like it.
By the way thanks everyone - that flower in the last newsletter is arum italicam - thankfully not the skunk cabbage that someone suggested.
The Chopping Block has had a holiday too so I thought I would share my Lemon Cream recipe with you.
Take the zest and juice of two lemons, separate two eggs and whisk the yolks into the juice. Add 1 tbsp cornflour, 4 tbsp sugar and a small cup of water. Whisk over heat till thickened. Beat the egg-whites to stiff and stir through the hot mixture combining to a creamy texture. Chill. This is lovely served with strawberries and cream.
By the way, if you want to bring a group of friends for a relaxing weekend I am taking bookings for next year so please get in touch.

No comments: