Thursday, July 04, 2013

Wholly Quilts July 2013 Newsletter

G’day!
Now that we have paddled our way through the onset of 
winter it seems a great time to sit under a quilt and plan future projects. I think I will return to my old favourite - a scrappy quilt. I have in mind to do a four-inch North Wind block
Sure it involves lots of fiddly triangles but I can envision a spectacular 
North Wind Block from http://www.juxtapost.com/site/permlink/4953f4d0-c2a6-11e2-a91c-0d59e168ddff/post/north_wind_quilt_block_pattern/
quilt at the end of all that work. Actually just thinking about making three to four hundred blocks is a little daunting but it will keep me out of mischief for a while.
Am tempted to enter Bernina's latest challenge - 'music'. Having won the lovely sewing machine last year with my portrait of the Dedley-Synn family maybe not. I'd probably have to call on the more musical

members of my family cos it was never a strong suit of mine :)
I have had another woo hoo moment this last month - four of my quilts have been selected for the Taupo symposium exhibitions. I missed out on everything else at Taupo so I am now planning a road trip to stand in front of my quilts with a silly grin on my face. As you do!!

The Pumpkin Patch has been weeded, fed and tucked up for winter thanks to my yard-girl aka my lovely Nina. I planted garlic close to the shortest day and already their green shoots are showing. Jared came down last week to install my new computer and went home with a bucket of lemons, feijoas, rhubarb and lots of herbs so there is still food to be had in the patch.

The Chopping Block is in testing and development stage. It is the time of year when I travel to teach rather than host retreats here so I have to work on new recipes.
Last night I blended up a lovely pesto from the garden. I picked a large handful of sorrel, parsley, coriander and used some of the last of the unplanted garlic. Into the blender with about half a cup of almonds, lemon zest and juice, pepper and salt, some tahini paste, horseradish cream and olive oil. Yum. Ate it immediately for dinner with slow-baked tomatoes and mussel fritters and then finished the rest off on rice crackers for lunch today.
It's got to be good for me and you too!
Natalie

7 comments:

Catherine Rozendaal said...

Looking forward to seeing your beaming smile in front of your quilts at Taupo! You may need to set up a tent though if you are planning to camp out in front of them! LOL!

Every time I see the Dedley-Synn family, I chuckle out loud! They are a hoot, and were well worthy of your prize.

Catherine

Tracey said...

I had so much fun helping out with Jane and the Rotorua Girls when they were up in May......I have stamped out the urge to get my fabric and sewing machine out of hiding - for the moment ;) Have a blast down in Taupo!

Christina Hodgson said...

I would love to come to Taupo but have to be content with meeting you at our scrappy quilt clas in Whangamata. Enjoyed the whole day, en keep enjoying your newsletter. I REALLY think you're so clever with the Dedley Syns family.
Have fun in Taupo
Christina Hodgson


Anonymous said...

I love your Dedley-Synn quilt it is very clever.

Caroline Nikoro

Chief Reader said...

I've just finished reproducing your pink 4inch random blocks quilt. It's away being quilted as we speak. Guess wahat? It's too pink - my choices were not as clever as yours (of course). I won't get to Taupo so enjoy your moment. Look forward to catching up later in the year. Joanna xx

Rona Driscoll said...

I've just hung my Lime Spritzer in our shop window, so make sure you take some time out from standing in front of your quilts to look for it :)

Anonymous said...

Whilst trolling throught the dozens of bureaucratic e-mails in my account it is lovely to read your newsletter. It inspires me to hurry up and finish my work so I can sew. Thank you for lifting my spirits. Vicki Brocklehurst