Tuesday, October 04, 2011

October 2011 Newsletter


G’day
Well I have done my big OE (to Dunedin) and can’t for the life of me think of any reason to be nervous about it all. I met a lovely group of ladies and was treated right-royally.
Coming back to a very busy month threw me off and I can’t even blame jet-lag J
I have well and truly missed the beginning of the month with all my projects and mail-outs too. So much so that was rushing to finish the next step in my project and have turned my ‘tree of life’ on its head. Will photograph it for the instructions and then unpick.
It seems that spring is a time to start new projects, finish the old and even abandon a couple. Was talking to a friend at a recent gathering and we decided that if you weren’t enjoying your quilting (or anything else you’re doing) then stop and go in a different direction – seems like a good plan to me.
So that flower creation can go ‘away’ and maybe never see the light of day again. I had got as far as the brick wall on it and in other ways too. I think my next quilt is back to scraps while I regroup.

The Pumpkin Patch is green and weedy and I feel like the neighboring cows when I go out to ‘graze’ and pick the salad greens and herbs – I mean very contented with my lot not chewing etc.
Apart from said greens and lots of herbs everything else has flowers to indicate what is to come – strawberries, cherries, plums, apples etc – but not much to eat right now.
The last of the limes and lemons are hanging in there.
I was going through my ‘brown recipe book’ (have I told you that I think that is probably my only possession that my kids are going to fight over when I go to that batting cloud in the sky – never mind the quilts) to find a recipe for you when I came across this oldie.
I don’t dare put it anywhere near the chopping block but I have to confess to liking it when I was about eight. An American family friend came to a picnic with us and brought along her special salad. Wait for it!!

Lime Salad – 2 pkts lime jelly, two bottles lime fizz, one large tin apple sauce. Heat sauce to boiling; add other ingredients and leave to set. Serve with chicken. Mmmm!

I bet the kid’s don’t even know that one is in there.

The Chopping Block was busy last month making marmalade and you really can’t go past an old Aunt Daisy goody. She called it Citron Marmalade and used citrons which I don’t know so I substituted limes.

Slice finely two citrons, 2 lemons and 2 sweet oranges. Well cover with water – about 15 cups. Soak for 2 days. Measure by cups. Boil until tender and beginning to colour. Add cup for cup of sugar and boil till set. Simple and yummy!


Regards
Natalie

No comments: