Thursday, January 14, 2010

re-birth of the quilting gardner

Natalie
Wholly Quilts
http://nataliemurdoch.co.nz

Today feels like my birthday and not my daughter's!
For many reasons not least that my first-born Janine, hereinafter referred to as Nina :-) is 40 right NOW. I can't believe it. Happy birthday beautiful. Love you.
What an amazing 40 years it has been - Nina was the first of three amazing kids and the reason for a marriage that survived 20-odd (that's odd as in peculiar not about) years and yet another reason for today's blue funk or 're-birth'.
The 'dearly departed' has sent the divorce papers more than 19 years after leaving us. Am in two minds about obliging by signing and returning - do it now and move on or mess him up a little one last time.
Today I began as I intend every day should - a walk, half an hour in the garden cutting back the orange berries that have finally yielded a tasty crop and pickling the gherkins that threaten to get away from me in the garden.
And then there is the writing of my first blog. Don't know if anyone out there is listening but then I am used to speaking to thin air. I have after all been a mother for 40 years - wow!
I'd like to keep a record of my quilting and gardening if just for that son of mine who keeps nagging me. Hi Jab!
So in the garden right not I am having great fun with vegetables - fresh beans, beetroot, potatoes, strawberries and cape gooseberries. Not forgetting the herbs and plenty of other green stuff - all very healthy.
Nina and Jab were here for dinner a couple of nights ago and laughed and my (very young) apple tree and passionfruit vine each with one fruit. Wait until the figs, damson plums, persimmons and grapes are all ready for consumption.
And then there is the buttercup squash - heading across the garden and up the neighbouring fence.
On the quilting front I have just covered Nina's kapok eiderdown for the fourth time. It was first done for her 10th birthday BQ (that is Before I became a Quilter) in a very stylish Trip around the World pattern as I recall. It had worn out at about her 20th birthday and by then I was a bona fide quilter (well I had four months experience by then) so I re-covered the beast. Ten years ago it was given a funky blue job and summer holidays just gone I finished an autumn-toned Afro 'do' for it.
I have been asked to exhibit some of my work in the local art gallery in March so need to work on a couple of pieces. Will keep you all posted.
This blogging has taken up more time than I thought it might but then I did have to find my way around my computer to do it so maybe now that I know the way there might be more to follow

1 comment:

Unknown said...

we are listening and we love you.

I for one think the last 20 (odd) years have seen you go from a scrappy old eiderdown to a bordering on the comical with the last 5 of those years seeing you bloom in a way that a phoenix would be proud of.

Jab